Friday, January 29, 2016

What do you want to be known for?

A day comes and goes, before you know it, a week its over, then a month. As is the norm with most people, we tend to forget time waits for no man – every minute counts. Talking about minutes, this year started quite well until it felt like we were midway 2016 with all the drama that’s been happening. It felt like every second there was a new story or trend that people were discussing online. I don’t know about you but I just wanted January to pass already in the second week.


Usually, most people start a new year on a high, literally! Well, until there are no pennies to acquire the day-to-day essentials like food. Ke Janworry boss trends faster than Onika twerking just after the 3rd. Apart from the penniless situationship and drama, the new year is also a time to right the wrongs and set new rules, in other ways putting together new year’s resolution list. On it, you will find the usual corny stuff like losing weight. I am not the one to plan each and every little thing I want to do each year for various personal reasons. One being that most of the things do not need any planning but just action. I use questions to formulate a way forward most of the time. This year, I asked myself this question before doing anything else: what do I want to be known for?

Positive highlights last year in both my professional and personal life, in the same way, serious disappointments. Life works this way, you can’t win all the time. That question I asked myself really forced me to relook at my brand strategy as a whole - from blogging on my own space and guest blogging, the company I am running, the way I present ideas etc. Would anybody remember me 5 years from now? What is that one thing they won’t forget about me or identify me by?

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you might have noticed that I focus on different topics not necessarily one. Starting blogging in 2011 was merely for fun, yet there was that need to belong to a certain sort of an online clan full of creatives from around the country. My culture guided my content, in fact, it became my content. An encounter with a well-known creative changed that in a good way – rather than being known for a certain topic, how about I be known as a writer who writes good content on different topics? That was a turning point for me as I went on to produce pet-related to student-friendly content to everything under the sun for clients as such I am able to engage with others on a variety of topics.

I want to be known for my skill, the main differentiator not a topic that might not even be relevant tomorrow. If I am selling cars today, I want to be able to sell washing powders tomorrow. This does not only relate to content but all areas of my life. So what do you want to be known for?
Post a Comment